Experience the diverse cultures, languages, and histories of three unique Mediterranean countries – Spain, Morocco, and Portugal. Partnering with local organizations, we gain exclusive access to people and places not typically seen by your average traveler. We dive deep into the idea of sustainable living at an off-the-grid eco-village in the Andalusia, examine how the movement of people over time has influenced the culture and language of Morocco, support a local association as they distribute endemic fruit trees on a carbon offsetting project, and lend a hand on a volunteer run project working to reduce urban food waste in Portugal. Together, we examine the lessons learned and reflect on our many experiences as a group along the Mediterranean.
Spain, Morocco, Portugal
September 1 - November 9
February 15 - April 24
*Airfare for international and in-country flights additional
- Explore Madrid, Sevilla, Marrakesh, Lisbon, Porto, and other Urban Centers to Learn about the Region’s Rich History
- Take Spanish and Moroccan Arabic Language Lessons
- Live and Work at a Sustainable Community in the Andalusia Region of Southern Spain
- Work with Locally-Run Tree Nurseries on a Reforestation Project in Rural Morocco
- Learn to Surf Along Morocco’s Striking Coastline
- Support Efforts to Reduce Food Waste and Help the Houseless Population in Porto
- Participate in Multiple Homestay Experiences and Become Immersed in Local Culture
- Trek Through the Moroccan Desert and Witness the Ever Changing Dunes of the Sahara
- Partner with a Community Run Association to Improve Local Infrastructure in the High Atlas Mountains
Learn and Support Sustainability and Development Efforts
Join an off-grid sustainable farming community in Andalusia, Spain, aiding their current projects in their endemic plant nursery and organic garden and learning how to support and maintain this eco-friendly way of life. Partner with a local organization working to reduce food waste in Porto and support the houseless population, community members, and families in need. You will have the opportunity to work alongside local volunteers and with a host community in a unique and meaningful way.
Take Spanish classes with local, native speakers as your teachers. Practice your new language skills with your host families and around the Spanish cities you explore. Learn Moroccan Arabic, called Darija, which is a combination of standard Arabic, Amazigh (the native language of Morocco’s indigenous people), French, and Spanish. Visit the many historical sites in Rabat and Marrakech, practice your bartering skills while buying local foods in the Medina for a cooking class, and enjoy getting to know your host families.
Reforestation and Carbon Offset Project in Rural Morocco
Partner with an organization supporting carbon offsetting through the planting of endemic fruit trees. Visit a number of their nurseries, learn about the history of the land, and help care for the seedlings and saplings that will be given or sold to local communities. The replanted trees will help pull carbon from the air and provide a supplemental income option for the caretakers.
Experience the Mediterranean’s Natural Beauty
Trek through the Moroccan Desert and witness the ever-changing dunes of the Sahara. Learn to surf on the shores outside Malaga and, with experience, take on bigger waves in Essaouira, on Morocco's striking coastline. Take in the beauty of the high peaks of the Atlas Mountains and its surrounding arid desert.
Have questions? Speak to one of our Program Directors, give them a call at (415) 332.5075 , they love talking about their trips!